Re: where should I stick that backup?

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: where should I stick that backup?
Date: 2020-04-06 15:13:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 10:45 AM Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> For my 2c, at least, introducing more shell commands into critical parts
> of the system is absolutely the wrong direction to go in.
> archive_command continues to be a mess that we refuse to clean up or
> even properly document and the project would be much better off by
> trying to eliminate it rather than add in new ways for users to end up
> with bad or invalid backups.
>
> Further, having a generic shell script approach like this would result
> in things like "well, we don't need to actually add support for X, Y or
> Z, because we have this wonderful generic shell script thing and you can
> write your own, and therefore we won't accept patches which do add those
> capabilities because then we'd have to actually maintain that support."
>
> In short, -1 from me.

I'm not sure that there's any point in responding to this because I
believe that the wording of this email suggests that you've made up
your mind that it's bad and that position is not subject to change no
matter what anyone else may say. However, I'm going to try on reply
anyway, on the theory that (1) I might be wrong and (2) even if I'm
right, it might influence the opinions of others who have not spoken
yet, and whose opinions may be less settled.

First of all, while I agree that archive_command has some problems, I
don't think that means that every case where we use a shell command
for anything is a hopeless mess. The only problem I really see in this
case is that if you route to a local file via an intermediate program
you wouldn't get an fsync() any more. But we could probably figure out
some clever things to work around that problem, if that's the issue.
If there's some other problem, what is it?

Second, PostgreSQL is not realistically going to link pg_basebackup
against every compression, encryption, and remote storage library out
there. One, yeah, we don't want to maintain that. Two, we don't want
PostgreSQL to have build-time dependencies on a dozen or more
libraries that people might want to use for stuff like this. We might
well want to incorporate support for a few of the more popular things
in this area, but people will always want support for newer things
than what existing server releases feature, and for more of them.

Third, I am getting pretty tired of being told every time I try to do
something that is related in any way to backup that it's wrong. If
your experience with pgbackrest motivated you to propose ways of
improving backup and restore functionality in the community, that
would be great. But in my experience so far, it seems to mostly
involve making a lot of negative comments that make it hard to get
anything done. I would appreciate it if you would adopt a more
constructive tone.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company