Re: Reducing power consumption on idle servers

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Zheng Li <zhengli10(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <nasbyj(at)amazon(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reducing power consumption on idle servers
Date: 2022-11-28 12:58:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Nov 27, 2022 at 6:57 PM Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> The main documentation of pg_promote() etc now has "The parameter
> <varname>promote_trigger_file</varname> has been removed" in the
> places where the GUC was previously mentioned. Perhaps we should just
> remove the mentions completely (it's somehow either too much and not
> enough information), but I'm OK with leaving those in for now until
> some better place exists for historical notes.

I think we should remove those mentions. Otherwise the documentation
just collects mentions of an increasing number of things that are no
longer relevant.

And, as you say, we can't presume that future readers would know what
promote_trigger_file even is.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com