Re: postgres_fdw join pushdown (was Re: Custom/Foreign-Join-APIs)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: postgres_fdw join pushdown (was Re: Custom/Foreign-Join-APIs)
Date: 2015-12-11 13:56:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 12:16 AM, Ashutosh Bapat
<ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>> +1.
>>
> I think there is still a lot functionality that is offered without
> EvalPlanQual fix.

Sure. But I think that the EvalPlanQual-related fixes might have some
impact on the overall design, and I don't want to commit this with one
design and then have to revise it because we didn't examine the
EvalPlanQual requirements carefully enough. We've already been down
that path once, and I don't want to go back. It's not always possible
to get the design right the first time, but it's definitely nicer when
you do.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company