Re: Error message inconsistency

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Steiner <greg(dot)steiner89(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Error message inconsistency
Date: 2019-03-25 16:11:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 11:23 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Fair point. Can such an error message change break any application?
> I see some cases where users have check based on Error Code, but not
> sure if there are people who have check based on error messages.

I'm sure there are -- in fact, I've written code that does that. But
I also don't think that's a reason not to improve the error messages.
If we start worrying about stuff like this, we'll be unable to ever
improve anything.

> Anyone else having an opinion on this matter? Basically, I would like
> to hear if anybody thinks that this change can cause any sort of
> problem.

I don't think it's going to cause a problem for users, provided the
patch is correct. I wondered whether it was always going to pick up
the relation name, e.g. if partitioning is involved, but I didn't
check into it at all, so it may be fine.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company