Re: extend pgbench expressions with functions

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: extend pgbench expressions with functions
Date: 2016-02-16 12:47:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 3:53 AM, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> wrote:
> My opinion is that the submitted version is simple and fine for the purpose,
> and the plan you suggest replaces 5*2 repetitions by a lot of code and
> complexity, which is not desirable and should be avoided.
>
> However, for obvious reasons the committer opinion prevails:-)

You're welcome to solicit other opinions. I'm not unwilling to give
way if there's a chorus of support for the way you've done it. But to
me it sounds like you're saying that it doesn't really matter whether
the system is scalable and maintainable because we only have 5
functions right now, which is a design philosophy with which I just
don't agree.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company