Re: Enhancement Idea - Expose the active value of a parameter in pg_settings

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Clough <greg(dot)clough(at)ipreo(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Enhancement Idea - Expose the active value of a parameter in pg_settings
Date: 2018-05-25 14:16:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 10:11 AM, Andrew Dunstan
<andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> He's proposing an extra column to show the actual value used, so
> distinguishing them should be a problem.

For most settings, that column would just be a duplicate. For a
handful, it would pull in the value of some other GUC. If somebody
finds that useful, cool, they can write a view that does it and
install it on their own cluster. I don't think that it makes a lot of
sense to put it in core, though. My guess would be that more people
would be annoyed or confused by the extra column than would be pleased
or enlightened by it. I could of course be wrong.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company