Re: do only critical work during single-user vacuum?

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: do only critical work during single-user vacuum?
Date: 2022-02-03 21:58:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 4:18 PM John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> I just checked some client case notes where they tried just that
> before getting outside help, and both SELECT and VACUUM FREEZE
> commands were rejected. The failure is clearly indicated in the log.

It would be helpful to know how it failed - what was the error? And
then I think we should just fix whatever the problem is. As I said
before, I know TRUNCATE has been an issue in the past, and if that's
not already fixed in v14, we should. If there's other stuff, we should
fix that too. The point I'm making here, which I still believe to be
valid, is that there's nothing intrinsically better about being in
single user mode. In fact, it's clearly worse. And I don't think it's
hard to fix it so that we avoid people needing to do that in the first
place.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com