Re: Blocking excessively in FOR UPDATE

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: sthomas(at)peak6(dot)com, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, postgres performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Blocking excessively in FOR UPDATE
Date: 2011-11-04 18:54:41
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I don't think 1 second can be such a big difference for the bgwriter,
> but I might be wrong.

Well, the default value is 200 ms. And I've never before heard of
anyone tuning it up, except maybe to save on power consumption on a
system with very low utilization. Nearly always you want to reduce
it.

> The wal_writer makes me doubt, though. If logged activity was higher
> than 8MB/s, then that setting would block it all.
> I guess I really should lower it.

Here again, you've set it to ten times the default value. That
doesn't seem like a good idea. I would start with the default and
tune down.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company