Re: Should we increase the default vacuum_cost_limit?

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Should we increase the default vacuum_cost_limit?
Date: 2019-02-25 16:48:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 8:39 AM David Rowley
<david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> I decided to do the times by 10 option that I had mentioned.... Ensue
> debate about that...

+1 for raising the default substantially. In my experience, and it
seems others are in a similar place, nobody ever gets into trouble
because the default is too high, but sometimes people get in trouble
because the default is too low. If we raise it enough that a few
people have to reduce it and a few people have to further increase it,
IMHO that would be about right. Not sure exactly what value would
accomplish that goal.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company