Re: ICU for global collation

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ICU for global collation
Date: 2022-03-14 18:57:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 8:51 AM Peter Eisentraut
<peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> [ new patches ]

I'm not very knowledgeable about this topic, but to me, it seems
confusing to think of having both a libc collation and an ICU
collation associated with a database. I have two main questions:

1. What will happen if I set the ICU collation to something that
doesn't match the libc collation? How bad are the consequences?

2. If I want to avoid a mismatch between the two, then I will need a
way to figure out which libc collation corresponds to a given ICU
collation. How do I do that?

I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm not going to like the answer to
question #2 very much, but maybe that's life. I feel like this whole
area is far too full of magical things. True practitioners know that
if you utter some mysterious incantation to the Lords of ICU, you can
get exactly the behavior you want. And ... everyone else has no idea
what to do.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com