Re: Write Ahead Logging for Hash Indexes

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Write Ahead Logging for Hash Indexes
Date: 2017-02-09 16:58:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 10:23 PM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 1:04 AM, Jesper Pedersen
> <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com> wrote:
>> On 12/27/2016 01:58 AM, Amit Kapila wrote:
>>> After recent commit's 7819ba1e and 25216c98, this patch requires a
>>> rebase. Attached is the rebased patch.
>>
>> This needs a rebase after commit e898437.
>
> Attached find the rebased patch.

Well, I've managed to break this again by committing more things.

I think it would be helpful if you broke this into a series of
preliminary refactoring patches and then a final patch that actually
adds WAL-logging. The things that look like preliminary refactoring to
me are:

- Adding _hash_pgaddmultitup and using it in various places.
- Adding and freeing overflow pages has been extensively reworked.
- Similarly, there is some refactoring of how bitmap pages get initialized.
- Index initialization has been rejiggered significantly.
- Bucket splits have been rejiggered.

Individually those changes don't look all that troublesome to review,
but altogether it's quite a lot.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company