Re: [sqlsmith] Failed assertion in postgres_fdw/deparse.c:1116

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Andreas Seltenreich <seltenreich(at)gmx(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [sqlsmith] Failed assertion in postgres_fdw/deparse.c:1116
Date: 2016-06-13 22:40:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 5:51 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 4:14 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Although I have done a bit of review of this patch, it needs more
>> thought than I have so far had time to give it. I will update again
>> by Tuesday.
>
> I've reviewed this a bit further and have discovered an infelicity.

Also, independent of the fix for this particular issue, I think it
would be smart to apply the attached patch to promote the assertion
that failed here to an elog(). If we have more bugs of this sort, now
or in the future, I'd like to catch them even in non-assert-enabled
builds by getting a sensible error rather than just by failing an
assertion. I think it's our general practice to check node types with
elog() rather than Assert() when the nodes are coming from some
far-distant part of the code, which is certainly the case here.

I plan to commit this without delay unless there are vigorous,
well-reasoned objections.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
postgres-fdw-promote-assert-to-elog.patch text/x-diff 578 bytes