Re: Backport "WITH ... AS MATERIALIZED" syntax to <12?

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Colin Watson <cjwatson(at)canonical(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Backport "WITH ... AS MATERIALIZED" syntax to <12?
Date: 2019-10-21 17:19:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 10:53 AM Andrew Dunstan
<andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> > FWIW I'm not sure the "we don't want to upgrade application code at the
> > same time as the database" is really tenable.
>
> I'm -1 for exactly this reason.

-1 from me, too, also for this reason. I bet if we started looking
we'd find many changes every year that we could justify partially or
completely back-porting on similar grounds, and if we start doing
that, we'll certainly screw it up sometimes, turning what should have
been a smooth minor release upgrade process into one that breaks. And
we'll still not satisfy the people who don't want to upgrade the
application and the database at the same time, because there will
always be changes where nothing like this is remotely reasonable.

Also, we'll then have a lot more behavior differences between minor
releases, which sounds like a bad thing to me. In particular, nobody
will be happy if a pg_dump taken on version X.Y fails to restore on
version X.Z. But even apart from that, it just doesn't sound like a
good idea to have the user-facing behavior vary significantly across
minor releases...

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company