Re: Testbed for predtest.c ... and some arguable bugs therein

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Testbed for predtest.c ... and some arguable bugs therein
Date: 2018-03-08 17:14:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 12:33 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> A bit of hacking later, I have the attached. The set of test cases it
> includes at the moment were mostly developed with an eye to getting to
> full code coverage of predtest.c, but we could add more later. What's
> really interesting is that it proves that the "weak refutation" logic,
> i.e. predicate_refuted_by() with clause_is_check = true, is not
> self-consistent.

Oops.

> I'm not sure that that's worth fixing right now. Instead I'm tempted
> to revert the addition of the clause_is_check argument to
> predicate_refuted_by, on the grounds that it's both broken and currently
> unnecessary.

Hmm, I think you were the one who pushed for adding that argument in
the first place: http://postgr.es/m/31878.1497389320@sss.pgh.pa.us

I have no problem with taking it back out, although I'm disappointed
that I failed to find whatever was broken about it during review.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company