Re: let's make the list of reportable GUCs configurable (was Re: Add %r substitution for psql prompts to show recovery status)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, Ian Barwick <ian(dot)barwick(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: let's make the list of reportable GUCs configurable (was Re: Add %r substitution for psql prompts to show recovery status)
Date: 2019-10-11 20:30:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 8:21 AM Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com> wrote:
> So off the top of my head providing a system function seems like the way to go here unless you were contemplating adding something to the protocol ?

Since the list of reportable GUCs is for the benefit of the driver,
I'm not sure why this would need to be changed after the connection
has been established.

But, if it does need to be changed, it seems like a terrible idea to
allow it to be done via SQL. Otherwise, the user can break the driver
by using SQL to set the list to something that the driver's not
expecting, and there's nothing the driver can do to prevent it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company