Re: index paths and enable_indexscan

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andy Fan <zhihui(dot)fan1213(at)gmail(dot)com>, Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: index paths and enable_indexscan
Date: 2020-04-14 18:43:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 10:21 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Awhile back I'd looked into getting rid of disable_cost altogether
> by dint of not generating disabled paths. It's harder than it
> sounds. We could perhaps change this particular case, but it's
> not clear that there's any real benefit of making this one change
> in isolation.

I like the idea and have had the same thought before. I wondered
whether we could arrange to generate paths for a rel and then if we
end up with no paths, do it again ignoring the disable flags. It
didn't seem entirely easy to rearrange things to work that way,
though.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company