Re: proposal - psql - show longest tables

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal - psql - show longest tables
Date: 2013-07-22 19:03:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 12:47 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I very often use a little bit adjusted psql system queries to
> detection TOP N sized tables. I am thinking so it can be useful for
> all users
>
> I propose a few new commands
>
> \dts [N|size] ... show N largest tables | show tables larger than size
> ordered by size
> \dis [N|size] ... show N largest indexes | show indexes larger than
> size ordered by size
> \dtst [N|size] ... show N largest total size | show tables where total
> size is larger than size ordered by total size
> \dtr [N] ... show N largest tables (ordered by rows)
>
> example:
>
> \dts 10 --- top 10 tables ordered by size
> \dts 10MB -- tables larger than 10MB ordered by size
>
> Schema | Name | Type | Owner | Size
> --------+-------------+-------+-------------+-------+-------------
> public | eshop_users | table | eshop_owner | 16 kB
> public | zamestnanci | table | eshop_owner | 16 kB
>
> What do you think about this proposal? Comments, notes?

I think our \d commands are in inscrutable morass of indecipherable
gobbledygook as it is, and this is only one more step down the road to
complete insanity. :-(

Rather than just continuing to add more imposible-to-remember syntax,
we really need a better design here.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company