Re: Allow pg_dumpall to work without pg_authid

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robins Tharakan <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allow pg_dumpall to work without pg_authid
Date: 2017-02-26 08:26:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 12:24 AM, Robins Tharakan <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I would like to work on a patch to accommodate restricted environments (such
> as AWS RDS Postgres) which don't allow pg_authid access since their
> definition of Superuser is just a regular user with extra permissions.
>
> Would you consider a patch to add a flag to work around this restriction,
> Or, do you prefer that this be maintained outside core?

I am a little surprised that this patch has gotten such a good
reception. We haven't in the past been all that willing to accept
core changes for the benefit of forks of PostgreSQL; extensions, sure,
but forks? Maybe we should take the view that Amazon has broken this
and Amazon ought to fix it, rather than making it our job to (try to)
work around their bugs.

On the other hand, maybe that approach is narrow-minded.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company