Re: Should we add GUCs to allow partition pruning to be disabled?

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Should we add GUCs to allow partition pruning to be disabled?
Date: 2019-03-13 13:10:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 7:28 PM David Rowley
<david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> I think I've done that in the attached patch.

Cool, thanks.

> However, do think the
> just saying "excessive memory usage" seems strange without prefixing
> it with "can result in" and dropping the "especially". I'm fairly
> used to having my wording debated, so I've left your words in the
> patch.

I'm not direly opposed to that. I included "especially" so as not to
rule out the possibility that there might be cases other than UPDATE
and DELETE that, in some circumstances, also use a lot of memory. I
didn't prefix it with "can result in" because I don't think English
grammar requires it to be there. It would be grammatically correct to
say "Larger partitioning hierarchies may incur long planning time and
excessive memory usage," and I don't think that injecting an
appositive phrase before "excessive memory usage" changes that
calculus. However, somebody might find your way easier to follow.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company