Re: Proposal for changes to recovery.conf API

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal for changes to recovery.conf API
Date: 2017-02-26 08:55:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 11:23 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> I think the issue was that some people didn't want configuration files
>> in the data directory. By removing recovery.conf we accomplish that.
>> Signal/trigger files are not configuration (or at least it's much easier
>> to argue that), so I think having them in the data directory is fine.
>
> There were a considerable number of people that pushed to make the
> data directory non-user writable, which is where the signal directory
> came from.

Specifically, it's a problem for Debian's packaging conventions,
right? The data directory can contain anything that the server itself
will write, but configuration files that are written for the server to
read are supposed to go in some external location dictated by Debian's
packaging policy.

Things like trigger files aren't configuration files per se, so maybe
it's OK if those still get written into the data directory. Even if
not, that seems like a separate patch. In my view, based on Michael's
description of what the current patch version does, it's a clear step
forward. Other steps can be taken at another time, if required.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company