Re: Trivial fixes for some IDENTIFICATION comment lines

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "Shulgin, Oleksandr" <oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Trivial fixes for some IDENTIFICATION comment lines
Date: 2016-01-18 17:13:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 12:01 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> On 2016-01-18 12:52:06 +0100, Shulgin, Oleksandr wrote:
>>> I've noticed that in src/backend/replication/logical/reorderbuffer.c, the
>>> IDENTIFICATION comment line is incorrect:
>>>
>>> * IDENTIFICATION
>>> - * src/backend/catalog/dropcmds.c
>>> - * src/backend/replication/logicalfuncs.c
>>> - * src/backend/replication/reorderbuffer.c
>>> - * src/backend/replication/snapbuild.c
>>> - * src/backend/storage/ipc/dsm.c
>>> - * src/backend/utils/cache/relfilenode.c
>>> - * src/backend/utils/cache/evtcache.c
>
>> How about we simply drop them instead alltogether? This isn't exactly a
>> seldomly made mistake, and they seem to actually contribute very little
>> value?
>
> Personally I think they're of some value. Particularly with stuff like
> Makefiles, which are otherwise confusingly similar.

I'm not unwilling to keep them around, but I tend to agree with
Andres. My editor will happily tell me which file I'm editing, and it
will do so regardless of whether I am on the first page of the file or
the hundredth page. The IDENTIFICATION comment isn't present in every
file and is occasionally wrong and in any event isn't displayed except
at the top. So I find those comments a fairly useless nuisance --
it's just one more thing I have to adjust when adding a contrib module
or a directory someplace, or moving something around. However, if you
want to keep them around, I don't have a big problem with that. It's
not necessary for everyone to find exactly the same things useful that
I do.

(vim FTW!)

--
Robert Haas