Re: [HACKERS] generated columns

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(dot)casanova(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] generated columns
Date: 2018-01-26 17:46:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 10:26 PM, Peter Eisentraut
<peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> Does the SQL spec mention the matter? How do other systems
>> handle such cases?
>
> In Oracle you get the same overflow error.

That seems awful. If a user says "SELECT * FROM tab" and it fails,
how are they supposed to recover, or even understand what the problem
is? I think we should really try to at least generate an errcontext
here:

ERROR: integer out of range
CONTEXT: while generating virtual column "b"

And maybe a hint, too, like "try excluding this column".

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company