Re: Possibility to disable `ALTER SYSTEM`

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Joel Jacobson <joel(at)compiler(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(dot)hagander(at)redpill-linpro(dot)com>, Maciek Sakrejda <m(dot)sakrejda(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Possibility to disable `ALTER SYSTEM`
Date: 2024-03-25 18:45:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 2:26 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> I wonder whether this feature should include teaching the server
> to ignore postgresql.auto.conf altogether, which would make it
> relatively easy to get to a bulletproof configuration.

This has been debated a few times on the thread already, but a number
of problems with that idea have been raised, and as far as I can see,
everyone who suggested went on to recant and agree that we shouldn't
do that. If you feel a strong need to relitigate that, please check
the prior discussion first.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com