Re: Add timeline to partial WAL segments

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add timeline to partial WAL segments
Date: 2018-12-12 04:06:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 11:29 AM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
> I really don't think that it is a good idea to link a future timeline
> within a segment which includes in its name a direct reference to its
> current timeline. Also I don't buy much the argument that those
> segments are a nuisance as well all the time. They may be for some
> tools, however not for others depending on the archiving strategy
> (distributed locations for example), and if they are a problem for your
> deployments, why not just discarding them within the archive command and
> be done with them?

-1. Writing an archive_command already requires a PhD in
PostgreSQL-ology. The very last thing we should do is invent even
more ways for an archive command to be subtly wrong.

I have a feeling the already-known ways to do it wrong are not too
well documented, which is another problem.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company