Re: Command Triggers

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Command Triggers
Date: 2011-12-13 17:35:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> But perhaps it's sufficient to implement what, of COMMAND TRIGGERS,
> can be done, and we'll see, as we proceed, whether or not it's enough.
>
> It's conceivable that a first implementation won't be enough to
> implement DDL triggers for Slony, and that we'd need to ask for
> additional functionality that doesn't make it in until 9.3.  That
> seems better, to me, than putting it on the shelf, and having
> functionality in neither 9.2 nor 9.3...

The thing is, I don't really see the approach Dimitri is taking as
being something that we can extend to meet the requirement you just
laid out. So it's not like, OK, let's do this, and we'll improve it
later. It's, let's do this, and then later do something completely
different, and that other thing will be the one that really solves the
problem.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company