Re: almost-super-user problems that we haven't fixed yet

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: almost-super-user problems that we haven't fixed yet
Date: 2023-01-17 19:59:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 17, 2023 at 1:42 PM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Alright. The one design question I have is whether this should be a new
> set of reserved connections or replace superuser_reserved_connections
> entirely.

I think it should definitely be something new, not a replacement.

> If we create a new batch of reserved connections, only roles with
> privileges of pg_use_reserved_connections would be able to connect if the
> number of remaining slots is greater than superuser_reserved_connections
> but less than or equal to superuser_reserved_connections +
> reserved_connections. Only superusers would be able to connect if the
> number of remaining slots is less than or equal to
> superuser_reserved_connections. This helps avoid blocking new superuser
> connections even if you've reserved some connections for non-superusers.

This is precisely what I had in mind.

I think the documentation will need some careful wordsmithing,
including adjustments to superuser_reserved_connections. We want to
recast superuser_reserved_connections as a final reserve to be touched
after even reserved_connections has been exhausted.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com