Re: [patch] A \pivot command for psql

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [patch] A \pivot command for psql
Date: 2015-08-11 14:13:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 8:18 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> psql is a minority API, you know.

Not for me. psql has already got a bunch of bells and whistles to
format things in particular ways that people have wanted, and I'm not
really sure why the bar for this proposal should be any higher. Is
this less useful than \pset linestype unicode, complete with trying to
auto-detect whether to enable the feature? Than automatically
switching between expanded mode and regular mode based on the width of
the TTY? I considered those features rather frivolous, but it seemed
to me that their inclusion was widely supported and that a number of
people were really quite happy about them.

I guess you could argue that those are inherently client-side features
and this is not, and I'll grant that point. But a client-side feature
in 9.5 beats a server-side feature in 10.6 every day of the week.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company