Re: New strategies for freezing, advancing relfrozenxid early

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New strategies for freezing, advancing relfrozenxid early
Date: 2023-01-26 21:21:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 26, 2023 at 4:06 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> wrote:
> There is very good reason to believe that the large majority of all
> data that people store in a system like Postgres is extremely cold
> data:

The systems where I end up troubleshooting problems seem to be, most
typically, busy OLTP systems. I'm not in a position to say whether
that's more or less common than systems with extremely cold data, but
I am in a position to say that my employer will have a lot fewer happy
customers if we regress that use case. Naturally I'm keen to avoid
that.

> Having a separate aggressive step that rewrites an entire large table,
> apparently at random, is just a huge burden to users. You've said that
> you agree that it sucks, but somehow I still can't shake the feeling
> that you don't fully understand just how much it sucks.

Ha!

Well, that's possible. But maybe you don't understand how much your
patch makes other things suck.

I don't think we can really get anywhere here by postulating that the
problem is the other person's lack of understanding, even if such a
postulate should happen to be correct.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com