Re: non-exclusive backup cleanup is mildly broken

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: non-exclusive backup cleanup is mildly broken
Date: 2019-12-16 19:18:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 8:44 PM Kyotaro Horiguchi
<horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> However I don't object to the restriction, couldn't we allow the
> cancel_before_shmem_exit to search for the given entry looping over
> the before_shmem_exit array? If we don't do that, an assrtion is needed
> instead.
>
> Since pg_stop_backup_v2 is the only caller to the function in the
> whole server code, making cancel_before_shmem_exit a bit wiser (and
> slower) cannot hurt anyone.

That's actually not true. It's called from
PG_END_ENSURE_ERROR_CLEANUP. Still, it wouldn't cost a lot to fix this
that way. However, I think that it's better to fix it the other way,
as I mentioned in my original email.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company