Re: BUG #6530: intarray documentation could do with a warning about operators

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: kontakt(at)sandberg-consult(dot)dk
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6530: intarray documentation could do with a warning about operators
Date: 2012-04-09 14:08:57
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 1:12 PM, <kontakt(at)sandberg-consult(dot)dk> wrote:

> Bug reference:      6530
> Logged by:          Kasper Sandberg
> Email address:      kontakt(at)sandberg-consult(dot)dk
> PostgreSQL version: 9.1.3
> Operating system:   Debian squeeze
>
> Hello.
>
> I recently had a problem with array operators && and @> on my gin index, it
> failed. Friendly people on #postgresql helped me track down the root cause -
> intarray, which i had just imported into my schema. I think it would be nice
> if the documentation for intarray on the documentations page had a short
> warning about this, so people can import into other schemas if they need to
> use the default array operators.
>
> Thanks.

We do have this:

<para>
The operators <literal>&amp;&amp;</>, <literal>@&gt;</> and
<literal>&lt;@</> are equivalent to <productname>PostgreSQL</>'s built-in
operators of the same names, except that they work only on integer arrays
that do not contain nulls, while the built-in operators work for any array
type. This restriction makes them faster than the built-in operators
in many cases.
</para>

But maybe some more explicit warning is needed. Not sure exactly what.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company