Re: Rethinking the parameter access hooks for plpgsql's benefit

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rethinking the parameter access hooks for plpgsql's benefit
Date: 2015-03-09 16:54:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 12:41 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
>> On 03/09/2015 09:11 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
>>> I object on the grounds that we're three weeks past the deadline for
>>> the last CommitFest, and that we should be trying to get committed
>>> those patches that were submitted on time, not writing new ones that
>>> will further increase the amount of reviewing that needs to be done
>>> before we can get to beta, and perhaps the bug count of that
>>> eventually when it arrives. In particular, I think that the fact that
>>> you haven't made more of an effort to give the GROUPING SETS patch a
>>> more detailed review is quite unfair to Andrew Gierth. But regardless
>>> of that, this is untimely and should be pushed to 9.6.
>
>> From the reading the original post it seems like the patch was
>> developed on Sales Force's time, not TGLs. I do not think we get to have
>> an opinion on that.
>
> JD sees the situation correctly: this is $dayjob work, and it's going
> to get done now not in four months because I have a deadline to meet.
> I would like to push it into the community sources to reduce divergence
> between our copy and Salesforce's, but if I'm told it has to wait till
> 9.6, I may or may not remember to try to do something then.

Sure, I have things that I've wanted to push into the community
sources for the benefit of EnterpriseDB, too. Nobody's offered to let
me ignore the community process when it happens to be good for
EnterpriseDB. If we're changing that policy for patches submitted by
Salesforce employes, I'm afraid I must object unless EnterpriseDB
employees will get the same privilege. And I think 2ndQuadrant will
want in on it, too.

> I will admit that I'm been slacking on commitfest work. This is not
> unrelated to the fact that we've been in commitfest mode continuously
> since last August. I'm afraid whatever enthusiasm I had for reviewing
> other peoples' patches burned out some time ago.

Yeah, it would be so much easier to get the release out the door if
people didn't keep submitting patches to make the product better. We
should really try to discourage that.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company