Re: Partition-wise join for join between (declaratively) partitioned tables

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rafia Sabih <rafia(dot)sabih(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Partition-wise join for join between (declaratively) partitioned tables
Date: 2017-03-20 16:40:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 12:07 PM, Rafia Sabih
<rafia(dot)sabih(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> On a further testing of this patch I find another case when it is
> showing regression, the time taken with patch is around 160 secs and
> without it is 125 secs.

This is basically the same problem as before; the partitionwise case
is doing the hash joins with the sides flipped from the optimal
strategy. I bet that's a bug in the code rather than a problem with
the concept.

> Another minor thing to note that is planning time is almost twice with
> this patch, though I understand that this is for scenarios with really
> big 'big data' so this may not be a serious issue in such cases, but
> it'd be good if we can keep an eye on this that it doesn't exceed the
> computational bounds for a really large number of tables..

Yes, this is definitely going to use significant additional planning
time and memory. There are several possible strategies for improving
that situation, but I think we need to get the basics in place first.
That's why the proposal is now to have this turned off by default.
People joining really big tables that happen to be equipartitioned are
likely to want to turn it on, though, even before those optimizations
are done.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company