Re: TRAP: FailedAssertion("HaveRegisteredOrActiveSnapshot()", File: "toast_internals.c", Line: 670, PID: 19403)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TRAP: FailedAssertion("HaveRegisteredOrActiveSnapshot()", File: "toast_internals.c", Line: 670, PID: 19403)
Date: 2022-04-19 11:39:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 4:07 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> There may be some corner cases that aren't described by any of these
> three blanket scenarios, but they've got to be pretty few and far
> between.

My first thought whenever anything like this comes up is cursors,
especially but not only holdable cursors. Also, plpgsql variables,
maybe mixed with embedded COMMIT/ROLLBACK. I don't find it
particularly hard to believe we have some bugs in
insufficiently-well-considered parts of the system that pass around
datums outside of the normal executor flow, but I don't know exactly
how to find them all, either.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com