Re: Infinities in type numeric

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Infinities in type numeric
Date: 2020-06-12 16:51:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 9:16 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> We had a discussion recently about how it'd be a good idea to support
> infinity values in type numeric [1].

Only a minority of that discussion was actually on that topic, and I'm
not sure there was a clear consensus in favor of it.

FWIW, I don't particularly like the idea. Back when I was an
application developer, I remember having to insert special cases into
any code that dealt with double precision to deal with +/-Inf and NaN.
I was happy that I didn't need them for numeric, too. So this change
would have made me sad.

It's possible I'm the only one, though.

--
Robert Haas