Re: explain analyze output with parallel workers - question about meaning of information for explain.depesz.com

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: explain analyze output with parallel workers - question about meaning of information for explain.depesz.com
Date: 2017-12-19 18:29:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 4:23 PM, Thomas Munro
<thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> The hash version of this code is now committed as 5bcf389e. Here is a
> patch for discussion that adds some extra tests to join.sql to
> exercise rescans of a hash join under a Gather node. It fails on
> head, because it loses track of the instrumentation pointer after the
> first loop as you described (since the Hash coding is the same is the
> Sort coding), so it finishes up with no instrumentation data. If you
> move ExecParallelRetrieveInstrumentation() to ExecParallelCleanup() as
> you showed in your patch, then it passes. The way I'm asserting that
> instrumentation data is making its way back to the leader is by
> turning off leader participation and then checking if it knows how
> many batches there were.

In a later email in this thread, you asked me to consider this patch
for commit, but it doesn't apply. I thought that might be the result
of conflicts with Amit's patch which I just committed, but I think
that's not the real explanation, because it touches the 'join'
regression test, not 'select_parallel'. Well, I thought, I'll just
find the place where the SQL should be inserted and stick it in there
-- trivial rebase, right?

Well, not really, because the context surrounding the lines you've
added seems to refer to SQL that I can't find in join.sql or anywhere
else in the tree. So my suspicion is that this patch is based on your
parallel hash patch set rather than master.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company