Re: pg_class.relpartbound definition overly brittle

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Mark Dilger <hornschnorter(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_class.relpartbound definition overly brittle
Date: 2017-06-02 16:48:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 9:31 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Let me explain the project standards in words of one syllable: user code
> should not examine the contents of node trees. That's what pg_get_expr
> is for. There is not, never has been, and never will be any guarantee
> that we won't whack those structures around in completely arbitrary ways,
> as long as we do a catversion bump along with it.

Many of those words have more than one syllable.

Also, you're attacking a straw man. Accidentally storing a meaningless
parse location in the catalog isn't a feature, and we shouldn't
pretend otherwise. I agree that what Mark's doing is a bit unusual
and doesn't necessarily need to work, and he seems to agree with that,
too. That doesn't mean that the status quo is some brilliant piece of
engineering.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company