Re: .ready and .done files considered harmful

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: .ready and .done files considered harmful
Date: 2021-05-05 20:00:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 1:06 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> It's not just about making sure that we archive the history file for a
> timeline before archiving WAL segments along that timeline but also
> about making sure we get that history file into the archive as fast as
> we can, and archiving a 16MB WAL first would certainly delay that.

Ooph. That's a rather tough constraint. Could we get around it by
introducing some kind of signalling mechanism, perhaps? Like if
there's a new history file, that must mean the server has switched
timelines -- I think, anyway -- so if we notified the archiver every
time there was a timeline switch it could react accordingly.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com