Re: backup manifests

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Suraj Kharage <suraj(dot)kharage(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, tushar <tushar(dot)ahuja(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Rushabh Lathia <rushabh(dot)lathia(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tels <nospam-pg-abuse(at)bloodgate(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jeevan Chalke <jeevan(dot)chalke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: backup manifests
Date: 2020-04-02 18:16:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 1:23 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> I suspect its possible to control the timing by preventing the
> checkpoint at the end of recovery from completing within a relevant
> timeframe. I think configuring a large checkpoint_timeout and using a
> non-fast base backup ought to do the trick. The state can be advanced by
> separately triggering an immediate checkpoint? Or by changing the
> checkpoint_timeout?

That might make the window fairly wide on normal systems, but I'm not
sure about Raspberry Pi BF members or things running
CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS/RECURSIVELY. I guess I could try it.

> I think it might be worth looking, in a later release, at something like
> blake3 for a fast cryptographic checksum. By allowing for instruction
> parallelism (by independently checksuming different blocks in data, and
> only advancing the "shared" checksum separately) it achieves
> considerably higher throughput rates.
>
> I suspect we should also look at a better non-crypto hash. xxhash or
> whatever. Not just for these checksums, but also for in-memory.

I have no problem with that. I don't feel that I am well-placed to
recommend for or against specific algorithms. Speed is easy to
measure, but there's also code stability, the license under which
something is released, the quality of the hashes it produces, and the
extent to which it is cryptographically secure. I'm not an expert in
any of that stuff, but if we get consensus on something it should be
easy enough to plug it into this framework. Even changing the default
would be no big deal.

> FWIW, the only check I'd really like to see in this release is the
> crosscheck with the files length and the actually read data (to be able
> to disagnose FS issues).

Not sure I understand this comment. Isn't that a subset of what the
patch already does? Are you asking for something to be changed?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company