Re: SQL objects UNITs

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SQL objects UNITs
Date: 2013-12-22 02:11:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 12:10 PM, Dimitri Fontaine
<dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr> wrote:
>> That said, I'm starting to wonder about a few
>> different options that might be handy- having the extension be dumpable
>> (or maybe an option to pg_dump to dump them from the DB, or not), and
>> perhaps an option to have the version # included in the dump (or an
>> option to exclude it, such as when run by pg_upgrade..?). Perhaps
>> similar things for pg_restore.
>>
>> In any case, this is certainly the way I had been hoping the discussion
>> would go..
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/18778.1354753982@sss.pgh.pa.us

Fortunately, nobody's proposing that exact design, and I think there
are more recent emails where Tom expressed at least some support for
the idea of installing an extension purely via SQL, and in fact backed
the idea of being able to dump-and-restore the extension members as
superior to storing blobs in the catalog.

If you want to go beat your head against the wall, I don't blame you,
but it's not going to help us make any progress here.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company