Re: Parallel Seq Scan

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bert <biertie(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parallel Seq Scan
Date: 2015-11-19 15:59:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 10:41 PM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I think whats going on here is that when any of the session doesn't
> get any workers, we shutdown the Gather node which internally destroys
> the dynamic shared memory segment as well. However the same is
> needed as per current design for doing scan by master backend as
> well. So I think the fix would be to just do shutdown of workers which
> actually won't do anything in this scenario.

It seems silly to call ExecGatherShutdownWorkers() here when that's
going to be a no-op. I think we should just remove that line and the
if statement before it altogether and replace it with a comment
explaining why we can't nuke the DSM at this stage.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company