Re: RLS feature has been committed

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "Brightwell, Adam" <adam(dot)brightwell(at)crunchydatasolutions(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Yeb Havinga <yeb(dot)havinga(at)portavita(dot)nl>
Subject: Re: RLS feature has been committed
Date: 2014-09-23 03:27:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 9:25 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> The CommitFests were never meant to restrict when a committer could
> commit a patch. The point of the CFs was to give committers time *off*
> from committing patches. If a committer wants to commit something
> completely outside of the CF process, they are welcome to, as long as it
> receives adequate review.

Agreed.

> So if there's an argument here, it's whether or not the committed RLS
> patch was adequately reviewed (and if not, if it should be reverted),
> not whether it should have been in the CF or not.

The point here is precisely that nobody other than the authors
reviewed it, and that I specifically asked Stephen to hold off commit
until the next CommitFest because I did not want to drop everything to
review a patch that was posted mid-CommitFest over other patches that
were timely submitted. Stephen took the technical content that
appeared in that same email, incorporated into the patch, and
committed it shortly thereafter.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company