Re: parallelize queries containing initplans

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kuntal Ghosh <kuntalghosh(dot)2007(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: parallelize queries containing initplans
Date: 2017-10-05 12:38:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 5:52 AM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Now, unless, I am missing something here, it won't be possible to
> detect params in such cases during forming of join rels and hence we
> need the tests in generate_gather_paths. Let me know if I am missing
> something in this context or if you have any better ideas to make it
> work?

Hmm, in a case like this, I think we shouldn't need to detect it. The
Var is perfectly parallel-safe, the problem is that we can't use a
not-safe plan for the inner rel. I wonder why that's happening
here... is it a problem with your patch or an existing bug?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company