Re: backup manifests

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Tels <nospam-pg-abuse(at)bloodgate(dot)com>, Suraj Kharage <suraj(dot)kharage(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Rushabh Lathia <rushabh(dot)lathia(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jeevan Chalke <jeevan(dot)chalke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: backup manifests
Date: 2020-01-01 18:43:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 9:16 PM David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net> wrote:
> > That said, I agree that there's no reason to come up with a bespoke
> > format and parser when JSON is already available in every PostgreSQL
> > installation. Imposing a structure atop that includes a version
> > number, as you suggest, seems pretty straightforward, and should be
> > done.
>
> +1. I continue to support a format that would be easily readable
> without writing a lot of code.

So, if someone can suggest to me how I could read JSON from a tool in
src/bin without writing a lot of code, I'm all ears. So far that's
been asserted but not been demonstrated to be possible. Getting the
JSON parser that we have in the backend to work from frontend doesn't
look all that straightforward, for reasons that I talked about in
http://postgr.es/m/CA+TgmobZrNYR-ATtfZiZ_k-W7tSPgvmYZmyiqumQig4R4fkzHw@mail.gmail.com

As to the suggestion that a version number be included, that's been
there in every version of the patch I've posted.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company