Re: libpq compression (part 3)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jacob Burroughs <jburroughs(at)instructure(dot)com>
Cc: Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq compression (part 3)
Date: 2024-01-12 21:11:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 12, 2024 at 4:02 PM Jacob Burroughs
<jburroughs(at)instructure(dot)com> wrote:
> > I wonder if we could use "upstream" and "downstream" to be clearer? Or
> > some other terminology?
>
> What about `send` and `receive`?

I think that would definitely be better than "compress" and
"decompress," but I was worried that it might be unclear to the user
whether the parameter that they specified was from the point of view
of the client or the server. Perhaps that's a dumb thing to worry
about, though.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com