Re: contrib modules and relkind check

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: contrib modules and relkind check
Date: 2017-03-10 02:03:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 7:23 PM, Michael Paquier
> Thanks. Shouldn't this fix be back-patched? pg_visibility should fail
> properly for indexes and other relkinds even in 9.6. pgstattuple can
> also trigger failures. It would be confusing for users to face "could
> not open file" kind of errors instead of a proper error message. Note
> that I am fine to produce those patches if there is a resource issue
> for any of you two.

I don't see a real need to back-patch this. I mean, it probably
wouldn't break anything, but it feels more like we're raising our
standards than fixing bugs per se. I don't think it benefits us when
users see the release notes for a new minor release series cluttered
with essentially non-critical fixes. It makes people worry about
whether upgrading is safe. You might brand those people as silly, but
they (indirectly) pay my mortgage.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company