Re: path toward faster partition pruning

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: path toward faster partition pruning
Date: 2017-09-01 17:52:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 2:02 AM, Amit Langote
<Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> Attached is now also the set of patches that implement the actual
> partition-pruning logic, viz. the last 3 patches (0004, 0005, and 0006) of
> the attached.

It strikes me that this patch set is doing two things but maybe in the
opposite order that I would have chosen to attack them. First,
there's getting partition pruning to use something other than
constraint exclusion. Second, there's deferring work that is
currently done at an early stage of the process until later, so that
we waste less effort on partitions that are ultimately going to be
pruned.

The second one is certainly a worthwhile goal, but there are fairly
firm interdependencies between the first one and some other things
that are in progress. For example, the first one probably ought to be
done before hash partitioning gets committed, because
constraint-exclusion based partitioning pruning won't work with
partitioning pruning, but some mechanism based on asking the
partitioning code which partitions might match will. Such a mechanism
is more efficient for list and range partitions, but it's the only
thing that will work for hash partitions. Also, Beena Emerson is
working on run-time partition pruning, and the more I think about it,
the more I think that overlaps with this first part. Both patches
need a mechanism to identify, given a btree-indexable comparison
operator (< > <= >= =) and a set of values, which partitions might
contain matching values. Run-time partition pruning will call that at
execution time, and this patch will call it at plan time, but it's the
same logic; it's just a question of the point at which the values are
known. And of course we don't want to end up with two copies of the
logic.

Therefore, IMHO, it would be best to focus first on how we're going to
identify the partitions that survive pruning, and then afterwards work
on transposing that logic to happen before partitions are opened and
locked. That way, we get some incremental benefit sooner, and also
unblock some other development work.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company