Re: API stability [was: pgsql: Fix possible recovery trouble if TRUNCATE overlaps a checkpoint.]

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Markus Wanner <markus(dot)wanner(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: API stability [was: pgsql: Fix possible recovery trouble if TRUNCATE overlaps a checkpoint.]
Date: 2022-04-07 14:04:20
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 7, 2022 at 2:28 AM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
> > Well, perhaps it's not the end of the world, but it's still a large
> > PITA for the maintainer of such an extension. They can't "just fix it"
> > because some percentage of their userbase will still need to compile
> > against older minor releases. Nor have you provided any way to handle
> > that requirement via conditional compilation.
>
> For example, I recall that some external extensions make use of
> sizeof(PGPROC) for their own business. Isn't 412ad7a going to be a
> problem to change this structure's internals for already-compiled code
> on stable branches?

I don't think that commit changed sizeof(PGPROC), but it did affect
the position of the delayChkpt and statusFlags members within the
struct, which is what we now need to fix. Since I don't hear anyone
else volunteering to take care of that, I'll go work on it.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com