Re: eXtensible Transaction Manager API

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: eXtensible Transaction Manager API
Date: 2015-11-12 14:23:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 2:47 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On 9 November 2015 at 18:46, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> > I am aware of the fact
>> > that by definition PREPARE TRANSACTION ensures that a transaction will
>> > be committed with COMMIT PREPARED, just trying to see any corner cases
>> > with the approach proposed. The DTM approach is actually rather close
>> > to what a GTM in Postgres-XC does :)
>>
>> Yes. I think that we should try to learn as much as possible from the
>> XC experience, but that doesn't mean we should incorporate XC's fuzzy
>> thinking about 2PC into PG. We should not.
>
> Fuzzy thinking. Please explain.

Multiple people who have worked on XC have argued to me that we need
to defend against the case where PREPARE TRANSACTION succeeds and
COMMIT PREPARED fails, say because somebody manually mucked with the
files in the data directory. I think that if people are manually
mucking with files in the data directory, we have no hope of achieving
sane behavior, and there's not much point in expending code on
defending against any individual way that could happen.

>> One point I'd like to mention is that it's absolutely critical to
>> design this in a way that minimizes network roundtrips without
>> compromising correctness. XC's GTM proxy suggests that they failed to
>> do that. I think we really need to look at what's going to be on the
>> other sides of the proposed APIs and think about whether it's going to
>> be possible to have a strong local caching layer that keeps network
>> roundtrips to a minimum. We should consider whether the need for such
>> a caching layer has any impact on what the APIs should look like.
> You mean the caching layer that already exists in XL/XC?

I don't think that's what I mean, no. If you have an external GTM
Proxy, then you have missed a trick, because whatever caching it does
could be done better inside the process that sent the request to the
proxy.

>> For example, consider a 10-node cluster where each node has 32 cores
>> and 32 clients, and each client is running lots of short-running SQL
>> statements. The demand for snapshots will be intense. If every
>> backend separately requests a snapshot for every SQL statement from
>> the coordinator, that's probably going to be terrible. We can make it
>> the problem of the stuff behind the DTM API to figure out a way to
>> avoid that, but maybe that's going to result in every DTM needing to
>> solve the same problems.
>
> The whole purpose of that XTM API is to allow different solutions for that
> to be created. Konstantin has made a very good case for such an API to
> exist, based around 3 markedly different approaches.

I'm not arguing with that.

> Whether we allow the API into core to be accessible via extensions is a
> different issue, but it looks fine for its purpose.

I'm not attacking the API. I'm trying to have a discussion about the
important design issues in this area.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company