Re: btreecheck extension

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: btreecheck extension
Date: 2014-06-17 20:16:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 9:47 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:
> As discussed at the developer meeting at pgCon, I think that there is
> a lot to be said for a tool that checks nbtree index invariants on
> live systems.

Me too.

> Attached prototype patch adds contrib extension, btreecheck.

I don't feel qualified to comment on any of the substantive issues you
raise, so instead I'd like to bikeshed the name. I suggest that we
create one extension to be a repository for index-checking machinery
(and perhaps also heap-checking machinery) and view this as the first
of possibly several checkers to live there. Otherwise, we may
eventually end up with separate extensions for btreecheck, hashcheck,
gistcheck, gincheck, spgistcheck, minmaxcheck, vodkacheck, heapcheck,
toastcheck, etc. which seems like excessive namespace pollution.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company