Re: Updated backup APIs for non-exclusive backups

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Marco Nenciarini <marco(dot)nenciarini(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Updated backup APIs for non-exclusive backups
Date: 2016-04-11 16:42:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 5:22 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> Well, if we *don't* do the rewrite before we release it, then we have to
> instead put information about the new version of the functions into the old
> structure I think.

I think that you should have done that in the patch as committed.
Maybe you could take an hour and go do that now, and then you can do
the rewrite when you get to it.

Tracking open issues and getting them resolved is a lot of work, so it
kind of frustrates me that you committed this patch knowing that it
was going to create one when, with only slightly more work, you could
have avoided that. Perhaps that is rigid and intolerant of me, but if
I had done that for even 25% of the patches I committed this
CommitFest, the open-issues list would be a bloodbath right now.

I apologize if this sounds harsh. I don't mean to be a jerk.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company